Monday, October 26, 2009

Back to School...

After a few mishaps at the beginning of the Fall Semester, I was able to get registered at: Fayetteville Technical Community College



I am currently attending the 8 week Semester that will run through December 12 - it's a shorter semester since I had to register later in the Fall.

This Opportunity was presented to me and made available through MyCAA, which is My Career Advancement for Army Wives. They granted me $6000 for Financial Aide for College, this goes towards the Courses, however, we have to pay for the textbooks. Little did I remember that that the books cost as much as the classes! Luckily, we have found a bookstore that sells the books new & used for ALOT less AND on Amazon.com as well, if we can get registered in advance and know what we need. *whew*

I have decided on my Major of Criminal Justice, as this is the only subject that has ever kept my interest and that I got decent grades. I had all my transcripts sent from my prior Colleges and with this Degree Plan I require 76 hours and 19 of my prior hours will transfer towards this degree, leaving me with 57 left to take. I am only taking 6 hours this semester, since it is my 1st semester back and night classes, I wanted to get back in the swing of school before getting too crazy (and they are 3 hour classes/4 nights a week).

Below are my 2 classes & descriptions - the cost for both of these books $240 - the cost for my tuition for both of these classes $330...insane!! I was able to take one book back (told them I dropped the class) and went to that bookstore I mentioned and got it new there for $50 cheaper. Craziness....




My Monday-Wednesday night class is Procedures in the Justice System. It is about the practices in the Jail Systems - my Professor is a Fayetteville Police Officer (15 years) and he is straight by the book.

He tells alot of stories of his work and it is very interesting, it helps relate to what we are studying to the real world.





My Tuesday-Thursday class is "Corrections in the 21 Century" - this course compares the difference in the way the Correctional System is now compared to the past. From the way the prisoners were punished, and the way the Correctional Officers jobs are handled.

My professor in this class is a Magistrate and he also has some VERY interesting stories, from marrying inmates to just Court cases (that can be shared). He is having 2 case managers come in next week to share stories with us as well.

In 2 weeks, we are taking a "field trip" (at our on discretion) to a nearby Prison to see how it works. I did this many years ago to the Huntsville State Prison, but I am still gonna go to this one as well. For some odd reason, it does intrigue me.

So far, it has made me happy that I have chosen to continue in this Criminal Justice Field as it has kept my interest!

With my going back to school, it has urged Justin to get his act together and go to the EArmyU and see what he needs to do in order to get himself into College as well. And, he just needs to get his transcripts sent in and he will be able to register in mid November for the Spring Semester!! HOOAH!!!

So....Thanks to the Army for sending us both back to College!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment